Should I check with my GP before getting an Aromatherapy Treatment?
Yes, you should consider asking your doctor’s opinion, especially if:
- if you have osteoporosis;
- if you are prone to blood clots;
- If you have heart disease;
- if you are pregnant.
What happens during the first Session?
All guests are required to complete Client Consent and Intake Form before commencement of any BIBI Therapy treatments. Based on your pre-session interview, the therapist may conclude that it would be prudent to refer you to a physician and reschedule your session. The therapist is trained to be observant and to be aware of signs that may contraindicate massage. At BIBI Therapy Practice, we always put safety first: for the guests as well as for the therapist. In keeping with the therapist’s code of ethics, it is always better to err on the side of caution for your well-being. It is strongly recommended that you follow the therapist’s advice if you are referred for consultation. You will not be charged for the session.
What are the benefits of Aromatherapy massage?
Prevention before treating is BIBI Therapy Practice mantra. It is widely recognised that massage therapy affects the body in a positive way. It is proven to be an effective method in preventing even treating diseases and injuries while helping to enhance the functioning of all body systems:
- improving posture,
- toning the muscles,
- increasing joint mobility of the musculoskeletal system,
- encouraging blood and lymph flow,
- increasing the efficiency of the circulatory and immune systems,.
When combined with essential oils, the benefits soar:
- the respiratory systems benefit from improved breathing patterns,
- the digestive systems experience better uptake of nutrients from food allowing a better flow of oxygen and other essential substances to all body tissues,
- the nervous systems benefit from improved sensory stimulation as well as coordination skills
- the hormonal systems increase production of endorphins and oxytocin that promote healing and a sense of wellbeing.
How does Aromatherapy work?
- the nostrils are attached to a part of the brain called the limbic system. The limbic system controls emotions and influences the nervous system and hormones;
- when you inhale essential oil molecules, messages are transmitted to the limbic system and affect heart rate, stress level, blood pressure, breathing, memory, digestion, and the immune system;
- essential oils are also absorbed through the skin;
- each essential oil has different healing properties. For example, some calm while others energize.
What can I expect during an Aromatherapy treatment?
- after the consultation, one or more essential oils are selected based on what you need and are mixed in with a carrier oil to dilute;
- the subtle aroma of the essential oils fill the air around you during the massage;
- after the treatment, the therapist may suggest a blend that you can use at home between treatments.
What is Aromatherapy? Is it expensive?
Aromatherapy treatment is massage therapy using highly concentrated oils extracted from plants, called essential oils, added to a carrier oil or lotion. At BIBITherapy we assess each client for the specific health conditions which might contraindicate the use of some essential oils, and we evaluate each client prior to an aromatherapy session. A free skin test patch is offered for all new clients.
Do not eat a heavy meal before an Aromatherapy Treatment.
Aromatherapy Massage is not recommended:
- if you have an infectious skin disease, rash, or open wound
- immediately after surgery
- immediately after chemotherapy or radiation, unless recommended by your doctor